Contact Us
Riverton Collegiate Institute
Engaged in Teaching and Learning
RCI_School_feathered.jpgHow do I register a student at RCI?

The first step is to fill in the Student_Registration_Form.doc and submit it to the office.  Upon receipt, an appointment will be made to meet and discuss your child's academic program.

If the student is care of Child and Family Services, the Student_Registration_Form.doc is required along with a  "School Registration Form: Children in Care".   Upon receipt of the completed forms, an appointment for an intake meeting will be arranged. 

Please contact the school if you require any assistance with the registration process.

Questions about bussing and transportation should be directed to the Director of Operations for Evergreen School Division

How many credits do I need to graduate? What courses are compulsory?

You need 30 credits to graduate from high school in Manitoba. If you have successfully completed the 30 credits, including all the compulsory courses, you earn a provincial high school graduation diploma. Here is a list of the compulsory courses at each level.

Compulsory Courses
Grade 9Grade 10Grade 11Grade 12
Language ArtsLanguage ArtsLanguage ArtsLanguage Arts
ScienceScienceHistoryPhysical Education
Social StudiesGeographyPhysical Education 
Physical EducationPhysical Education  

In addition to the above courses, you need to successfully complete a minimum of 13 electives to total 30 credits.

For complete information, visit the Department of Education website page on this topic.

What else do I need besides the basic graduation requirements?

As long as you have the above noted 30 credits, you can graduate. However, you should also become familiar with the entrance requirements of the various colleges and universities. It is possible to graduate from high school without meeting post secondary entrance requirements.

Some post secondary programs require that you have completed a pre-calculus math for example. Others require a certain number of advanced level grade 12 courses. That means you need to find out about entrance requirements for the programs in which you think you might be interested and then choose your high school courses accordingly.

What electives can I take?

Electives, or optional courses, are courses that you take in addition to the compulsory courses (highlighted in the chart above). You have to take enough electives to make you eligible for graduation. Of course, we teach many electives at the school, but you have other avenues open to you as well.

You should speak to your guidance counsellor about things like online courses or independent study course, or even about how to develop a student initiated project - which involves designing your own course in an area of personal interest.

Can I get accepted to college or university?

post_secondary_collage.jpgAs mentioned earlier, you need to check out the entrance requirements for that college or university. The most current information is available from the college/university website.  You can access applications from those websites, and we will even help you fill them out.

Some programs work on a "first come, first served" basis, so apply early. Other programs have limited enrollments and may require you to submit a portfolio or attend an interview. Applying early gives you time to prepare, which is the best way to improve your chances of getting into the program you want.

What if the course I want to take is not offerred in the regular timetable?

We offer a wide selection of courses, but it may happen from time to time that a student wants / needs to take a course that we are not offering. If it is a course that is offered in rotation, that is, every other year, then the student is advised to simply enroll in the course when it is offerred. In special circumstances, this is just not an option, so these other approaches are usually available:

Online Learning: Various online courses are offerred in our school division and students can take them free of charge. We are sometimes able to enter into agreements with other school divisions to make their online courses available to our students as well.

Teacher Mediated: The Teacher Mediated Option (TMO) provides high school-age and adult learners with access to selected distance learning courses. TMO learners use independent study distance learning courses supplemented with scheduled audio teleconference classes hosted by an instructor. Classes can be recorded and additional support from the instructor occurs via email and phone. Follow this link for more information.

Independent Study: The Independent Study Option (ISO) is also known as correspondence. Students register and pay* for a course they want and upon successful completion, the Department of Education contacts us and a credit is awarded. Students truly work in an independent fashion, and as there is no teacher assigned to the course and no regular schedule to follow, this option should only be selected by students who are self motivated and able to organize their time efficiently. Follow this link for more information.

Inter-campus courses: We have developed a strong inter-campus program with Arborg Collegiate. Students are eligible to take selected courses at ACI and travel on the bus each day.

Please note: ISO, TMO, and some Web courses require that the student pay a registration fee to either the Department of Education or to the school division that is hosting the Web course.

*Registration costs are the responsibility of the student, however if this is a required course that is not taught at either RCI or available at ACI through our shared-campus program, RCI may consider reimbursing these costs. The following must be provided:

  • A copy of the original receipt issued by the Department of Education, and
  • Proof the the credit was successfully completed.

These arrangments need to be made with the school in advance. Students / parents should discuss this with the school before registering for these types of courses.

How do I apply to college?

You may come to see us and ask us for help submitting an application. There is often an application fee charged by the institution to which you are applying, usually in the neighborhood of thirty to fifty dollars. There may be some other steps in the applications process for some programs. An interview or portfolio could be required, depending on the program. Read up on the entrance requirements in the college's admissions handbook or online.

How do I apply to university?

Again, you may come to see us and ask for assistance in submitting an application. Expect to pay an application fee here too. You will need to submit a transcipt of your marks as well, which is available in the school office. Allow us at least one school day to process your transcript.

What if I don't want to go to college or university? What other options do I have?

You have lots of options!

  • Apprenticeship training
  • Foreign exchange programs
  • Interprovincial exchange programs
  • Job training programs
  • Co-operative education programs
  • Direct entry careers

If you are not sure what you want to do after high school, you should ask for information on the opportunities that are open to you!

How can I get financial aid to study at college or university?

The provincial government has a student loan and bursary program. Applications are sent to the school and you can pick one up from us. The application form asks a variety of questions about your (and your family's) finances. Your application is then reviewed to determine how much money you should be able to contribute to your program vs. the costs of the program.

The amount you get will depend on a number of factors. If you qualify for a loan, then you go to a financial institution of your choice to arrange things. Essentially, your loan is guaranteed by the provincial government. Of course, loans have to be repaid. When you finish your post secondary program, you negotiate a repayment plan with the financial institution that loaned you the money.

If you also qualify for a bursary, then that will be paid out to you as well. You do not pay back the money that you get in a bursary.

When is grad

Thursday, June 25, 2020

What if I graduate with more than 30 credits?

008.pngThere are incentives in place to graduate with more than 30 credits. Keep in mind that if you wish to gain more than 30credits, you should be doing this for the right reason - and that reason is that you yourself want to earn that number of credits.

Colleges and universities will not generally view your application in a different light based on your graduation with more than the minimum number of credits.

Students in Evergreen School Division may graduate with one or more of the following diplomas:

Manitoba Diploma: Student who achieve 30 credits and meet Manitoba Education Citizenship and Youth graduation requirements.

Evergreen Diploma
: Student who achieve 32 credits and meet Manitoba Education Citizenship and Youth graduation requirements.

Evergreen Diploma with Distinction
: Students who meet the requirements for the Evergreen Diploma and achieve an average of 80% or greater in Grade 12 courses (minimum five Grade 12 credits, interpreted as the best five Grade 12 credits achieved, which includes all core subjects).

Another kind of diploma you can get is a Mature Student Diploma.  The details related to that can be found listed below.

What is a "Mature Student"?

The Department of Education recognizes that sometimes, people leave school without graduating, and it is unrealistic to expect them to complete 30 credits.  So they have established a "Mature Student" program whereby a person can graduate with fewer than 30 credits, but certain conditions must be met.  Here is the link to the Department of Education website and the mature student guidelines.

How do I get considered for the awards and bursaries they present at grad?

There are two kinds of awards that are presented at grad: those that require you to fill in an application, and those for which all students are automatically considered.

For the awards that all students are automatically considered, you don't need to do anything. We have an in-school awards committee that looks at all the graduates, evaluates the award criteria for each bursary, and selects the best recipient for the award. Other awards require that you fill in an application form. You will need to read through the list of awards, and apply for the awards in which you are interested.

Local scholarships and awards, that is, those for which you must fill in an application must be in on time so that we can forward them to the appropriate sponsoring committee.

For a listing of awards and scholarships, please see Mrs. Kornelsen.

What is the difference between all of the different Math courses? Which one should I take?

Math_001.JPGThere are three different Mathematics courses: Applied, Essentials, and Pre-Calculus.

You need to know if the post secondary program you plan to take one day requires a particular type of high school Math course as a prerequisite. It is of course very difficult to take a challenging Math credit at the higher grade levels if you do not have the previous grade level credit..

Applied Mathematics

This pathway is designed to provide students with the mathematical understandings and critical-thinking skills identified for post-secondary studies in programs that do not require the study of theoretical calculus. Topics include financial mathematics, geometry, logical reasoning, measurement, number, relations and functions, and statistics and probability.

Essential Mathematics
This pathway is designed to provide students with the mathematical understandings and critical-thinking skills identified for post-secondary studies in programs that do not require further study in advanced mathematics. Topics include algebra, geometry, measurement, number, statistics and probability, and financial mathematics.

Pre-Calculus Mathematics
This pathway is designed to provide students with the mathematical understandings and critical-thinking skills identified for entry into post-secondary programs that require the study of theoretical calculus. Topics include algebra and number, measurement, permutations, combinations and binomial theorem, relations and functions, and trigonometry.

How does grade 11 and 12 Phys Ed work?

Gym.jpgUnlike grade 9 and 10 PE, grade 11 and 12 PE involves an "out-of-school" component which sees students engaged in physical activities at home and in the community.  Anticipate that you will be required to submit a physical activity plan and have that approved by the Phys Ed teacher prior to logging your out of school hours. 

Students will be expected to complete their grade 11 credit in their grade 11 year, and their grade 12 credit in their grade 12 year.  Students who wish to complete two credits in one year must have the approval of the school principal. 

How do I register for a repeater course?

Visit the "students' section of the website for all of the details.

What about other credits, like community service, cultural exploration, private music, or correspondence courses?

Community Service

You may earn a credit for volunteer work in the public sector - the Community Service Student Initiated Project (CSSIP). To do this, you must first register for the credit. You cannot count any hours you accumulated prior to remember registration is the first step! See the school counsellor to register for this credit. Get all the forms and more details here.

Cultural Exploration

You may earn a credit for a cultural exploration activity. Follow the link in the "courses" section at the top of this page to earn more about the Cultural Exploration Student Initiated Project (CESIP).  Get all the forms and more details here.

Correspondence Courses

You can take a correspondence course - or independent study. You are responsible for any costs involved in doing so, but if we have resources you need, such as a textbook, you can sign that out from the school. Here is a list of all the independent study courses.

Private Music Option

To earn credits in the private music option, you need to provide us with proof of successful completion of programs in the Royal Conservatory of Music or the Conservatory Canada program. View the Department of Education guidelines for more information.


The conditions for recognition are as follows:

  • One credit can be recognized on the basis of successful completion of the cadet basic training program. Basic training program for Air Cadets is defined as successful completion of the Level Two program;
  • An additional credit can be recognized on the basis of successful completion of the cadet advanced training program. Advanced training program for Air Cadets is defined as successful completion of the Level Four program;
  • These credits will be recognized only as additional credits beyond the minimum credits for school graduation.

Follow this link for more information.

Challenge for Credit

In exceptional circumstances, students may already have acquired the skills / knowledge that enables them to meet the outcomes of a course.  In that case, the student can challenge for credit.  There are some very specific rules related to this, so familiarize yourself with the Division Admin Procedure and then speak to your counsellor or principal to see if this is an appropriate route for you to take.

How to I sign up for Driver Education?

DE_NoviceDriver.gifDriver Education is offered through Manitoba Public Insurance.  This is not part of the school program.  The following information was sent to the school by the Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation. Questions should be directed to your local MPIC office.

How to enroll:

You can sign up for Driver Education courses in two easy steps:

1. Go to to view a list of available courses.*

2. Go to your nearest Autopac agent with your parent/guardian to get set-up as a Manitoba Public Insurance customer, register, and pay for your course.

Identification requirements

You need to establish your identity to register for Driver Education. Remember to bring your identity documents when you go to register at any Autopac agent. For more information and to view a list of documents you can use to prove your identity, please visit our website at, select Driver Education and then click on Enrolling.

Cost and course overview

The cost of Driver Education includes 34 hours of classroom instruction, eight hours of driving, and eight hours of in-car observation. You must be at least 15 1/2 years of age to qualify for a learner's permit under this program.

For a list of complete course requirements, go to select Driver Education, select Enrolling, and then click on the Driver Education Registration Guide.

Convenience and flexibility

You can register and pay for your Driver Education course in one visit to any Autopac agent. For information on course start dates and locations, go to select Driver Education and then click on Course Finder.

*Depending on your school and school division, you may be able to take Driver Education at another school. However, restrictions may apply as individual schools set their own rules about who may register for classes.

Are you looking for a guarantor form?  You will find it here.

school_bus.jpgWho can take the intercampus bus?

Only students enrolled in intercampus courses, including band and choral, are allowed to take the intercampus bus.  Any other students must have advance approval from the principal. 

Do I have to take the intercampus bus if I take a course in Arborg?

All students should be making use of the intercampus bus to get to and from Arborg.  This is the safest and surest way to travel.  From time to time, a student may need to travel via a private vehicle.  While this is strongly discouraged, it is understood that there may be special circumstances that require independent travel.

When this is the case, it is expected that:

  • the student has expressed parental permission to travel via private vehicle,
  • the school is advised of the special circumstances that require private vehicle use, and
  • the student travels alone or is transported by a parent.

Under no circumstances will the school ever give permission for a student to transport other students. 

These rules apply to travel that occurs during school hours, as well as any school function that occurs outside of regular school hours. 

The intercampus bus is in place to ensure safe transportation by professional drivers and is the safest way to travel between the schools.  An important letter to parents and students regarding intercampus travel is located here.

What sort of fees do I have to pay?

Visit the "students" page for a full explanation of fees and charges at RCI.

What does it mean to "Allergen Aware"?

People have different levels of sensitivity to certain things.  This can include:

RCI is a fish aware school.  This means that staff and students are asked to refrain from bringing fish products of any sort to school or any school event.  For more information on this topic, visit the Health Canada website.